We're Hiring: Administrative/Personal Assistant
Please note: Only candidates that make our short list will be contacted. Please, no follow up phone calls or emails.
Part time, fixed-term employment.
15-20 hours a week. You will need to work 2-3 hours every day (M-F) during normal business hours, but can spread out the rest of your time throughout the week as needed.
- College degree
- Fluent English
- Able to pass our background check
- Driver’s license
- Exceptional writing skills
(Because there is no “average day” at SSC, we’ve listed the types of things that you would have tackled over the last couple of weeks to give you a sense of the breadth of work that you’ll be taking on.)
- Responded to incoming email inquiries
- Sent an automated update to our e-newsletter list
- Entered new contacts into our contact database
- Managed the office calendar and confirmed appointments
- Scanned and sorted documents
- Made a trip to the post office to mail a few packages
Project management tasks
- Queued follow-ups with prospective clients
- Set up meetings with clients for kickoff calls
- Compiled client feedback on a recent project into a single document
- Edited and proofread proposals, white papers, and client reports
Social media tasks
- Used Hootsuite to schedule a number of tweets to be published at later dates
- Loaded video onto our YouTube channel, created a transcript and added tags, links, and cross-references for search engine optimization
- Created Slideshare “snapshots” of past presentations
Personal Assistant TASKS
- Researched and booked airfare and hotels for consultant travel
- Picked up dry cleaning for a last minute business trip
- Ordered a catered lunch and gone for a late afternoon coffee run
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is interested in sustainability, but is content to spend the majority of time working on administrative, project management, and social media tasks. This is NOT a position for someone who wants to move into a full-time sustainability consulting role.
- Is tech-savvy. You will be on the computer almost ALL the time. You need to be totally comfortable updating our website, using our email marketing software, navigating our project management software, using Skype and other web-meeting technology, etc. We are happy to provide some basic training, but you’ll need to pick it up quicker than a 3-year old with an iPad.
- Has extraordinary attention to detail and stellar writing skills. You are a member of the grammar police, and you would die of shame if an email went out with a spelling mistake. You are delighted to read through consultant’s work to ensure that it speaks with the “SSC Voice” and aren’t afraid to speak up when there is a mistake, lapse in judgment, or way to improve our communications.
- Is happy to take on some basic office tasks (sorting, filing, errands). In fact, you should THRIVE on organization, order, and effective systems. Our ideal person wakes up in the middle of the night with a brilliant idea for how to reduce paper in the office – and then implements it the next day.
- Is quick on the uptake. You look around at other people and wonder how on earth they can get so little done in a day. You run circles around your peers, and are constantly asking for more work. (We can dream, right?)
Tips for Getting Hired:
This is incredibly important, so please read everything carefully. We are not a typical business, and so we don’t hire in the typical way.
Think of your cover letter as a love letter to SSC. Make us believe that this is the most perfect position that could possibly be advertised and that we would be fools not to snap you up immediately. Tell us why you love this job advertisement, what qualities you bring that would make our lives easier, and how you have been waiting for just this kind of opportunity.
Seriously, we delete candidates who send obvious form letters – it’s not hard to tell when you’ve used this cover letter a hundred times in search of a job, any job.
Make your cover letter count. If we’re being brutally honest, we probably won’t even open 95% of the resumes/CVs that we receive. Based on six years of hiring interns, project managers, and consultants, we can tell within 10 seconds of reading your cover letter if you are a good fit. So if you’re not a good fit (you know who you are!), please skip the application process altogether.
How to Apply:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your resume/CV as a PDF attachment (Word docs will be deleted unopened)
- Put your cover letter in the text field of the email (not as an attachment)
- Attach a recent writing sample