Deloitte & Touche USA LLP recently conducted a survey entitled 2007 IMPACT, which studied Generation Y employees (ages 18-26) and community service. The conclusion is that Generation Y employees have a strong desire to engage in community service, and want employers to offer time and opportunities to do community service. The survey found the following:
- 62% want to work for companies that give them opportunities to engage in community service.
- 80% identify as volunteers.
- 74% state they do volunteer work to give back to the community or to fulfill a personal desire to give back.
- 82% believe volunteer work helps build leadership skills.
- 26% stated that community service engagements were mentioned at their job recruitment.
So how does your employee volunteer program stack up?