In a report released by Shell, Ford, Novo Nordisk, Vodafone, The Skoll Foundation and others, globalization and sustainability are assessed within the frame of 21st century business. The conclusion: “there is no more business as usual.” The report, entitled Raising Our Game: Can We Sustain Globalization, was released by consulting firm SustainAbility. The report illustrates four different scenarios for 2027, titling each scenarios after a card suit. The best scenario, “Hearts,” depicts a neo-renaissance of politics, economics, and sustainability coalescing homogenously.” Diamonds,” the worst scenario, depicts democratic lifestyles sweeping the globe, and destroying ecosystems and disabling decision makers and inhibiting society’s ability to respond.
The report outlines seven recommendations:
- Plan for the unexpected
- Focus efforts in areas of developing needs and booming populations.
- Over time, a blended value bundle will be the norm in future business.
- Work to increase Earth’s “immune system” through market intelligence and creation. Be a source for help.
- Find opportunity in social and environmental issues
- Step outside the comfort zone to find new innovations, technologies, and solutions.
- Get involved in the politics, and find the vision, courage, and innovation to lead your company into the next business sphere.
If your organization needs help thinking through these issues, why not contact SSC for a consultation?