Your company enjoys giving back to the community, but how can sustainability also fit into that yearly contribution? There are many non-profit organizations you can support to help further sustainable and environmentally friendly programs. Wondering if you are donating to a worthy organization? The American Institute of Philanthropy developed a way to grade charities, so that donors can be informed. Their grading system is based on several factors, including how much of your dollar actually goes to charitable purposes, and how efficiently the organization fundraises. While it is not meant to be a comprehensive guide as to what organizations you should support, this “watch dog” organization can give you an idea of where to look. Below are some “grade A” environmental non-profits and charities:
- Alaska Conservation Foundation supports efforts to sustain wildlife, water, and lands in Alaska.
- American Forests works to provide every community with healthy forests.
- Conservation Fund commits to improving America’s conservation efforts.
- Conservation International Foundation operates various conservation efforts worldwide.
- Ducks Unlimited focuses on waterfowl conservation.
- Earth Island Institute supports new solutions for protecting the environment.
- Greenpeace Fund, Inc. encourages new solutions as well as bringing an end to destructive environmentally actions.
- Izaak Walton League of America strives toward conservation of the land, soil, air, and water, while also supporting education about environment.
- Nature Conservancy preserves life in protected habitats.
- Rainforest Action Network operates in order to protect the forest and the ecosystems within them.
- Rainforest Alliance endeavors to maintain biodiversity through sustainable actions.
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation acts to secure the future of elks.
- Sierra Club Foundation financially supports a range of environmental projects for the Sierra Club and other environmental organizations.
- Trout Unlimited ensures North American fisheries and their watersheds are protected.
- Trust for Public Land protects land for parks, gardens, and many natural settings for people to enjoy.
- World Resources Institute primarily researches current environmental issues and creating methods to preserve the earth.
Look here for more high-grade environmental charities to support.