Green building products can significantly help buildings score up for LEED certifications, but eager consumers should be aware of greenwashing when they try to make their choice among the many available such products. To help consumers make the right decision by avoiding exaggerated eco-friendly claims, Sustainable Industries has named its choices for the top ten green building products of 2009.
Top 10 Green Building Product winners were selected based on their environmental performance, scalability/market impact, innovativeness, design aesthetic, value and compatibility with the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system.
A panel of four green building experts chose the top ten products; Eden Brukman from the Cascadia Region Green Building Council, Barry Giles who is a LEED Accredited Professional with extensive experience, Alistair Jackson senior LEED consultant from O’Brien and Company, and Paul Schwer. The judges selected the following products:
- Acadia Combined Heating and Cooling System by Hallowell International
- ec-H2O by Tennant Co.
- InSpire Wall by ATAS International
- kama-EBBS Structural Systems by kama Energy Efficient Building Systems, Inc.
- PlybooPure Bamboo plywood by Smith & Fong Co.
- RainTube by GLI Systems Inc.
- Separett Villa by Separett
- Serious Windows by Serious Materials
- Solatube Daylighting Systems by Solatube International
- Your Old Light Fixture by Eleek
Access the entire report by clicking here.