Dispatched by the SSC Team
Looking for ways to go green this Thanksgiving, in the office or at home? Earth911.com and planetgreen.com have some great tips for helping you stay green through the holiday.
1. Shopping: visit your local farmer’s market this weekend (click here to find one in your area)
2. Portions: Earth911 estimates we each waste 100 pounds every year! Check out “Use Less Stuff”, a nifty per person portion estimator to make sure you’re preparing the right amount for your number of guests:
- Turkey- 1 pound
- Stuffing- ¼ pound
- Sweet potato casserole- ¼ pound
- Green beans- ¼ pound
- Cranberry relish- 3 tablespoons
- Pumpkin pie- 1/8 of a 9 inch pie
3. Leftovers: still got some? Use the reusable containers that some of your food came in and bring it to a local food shelter.
There are lots of ways to bring the outdoors inside to save on decorations and table settings this Thanksgiving. Here’s a list of great ideas from Earth911 .
- Acorn napkin ties
- Dried leaf place cards
- Corn or leaf print place mats
- Pinecone turkeys
- Painted gourds
- Festive fall arrangements of pumpkins or corn cobs
- Make your own cornucopia
While you’re at it, take Planet Green’s Do You Give Green Thanks quiz for more suggestions!
Still need a few more Thanks Giving Tips? Visit our website and do a little extra Sustainable Reading this Thanks Giving!