Dispatch from the SSC Team
While specific projects will vary from week to week, the intern should generally expect to spend approximately 80% of his or her time assisting the Director for the Socially Responsible Business Program with corporate research, on-line and other monitoring of information sources, updating and tracking departmental contacts and mailing lists, and updating the organization’s corporate informational database. The intern will also assist with publications, events, informational booths, mailings and other work associated with departmental and organizational events and conferences.Approximately 20% of the intern’s time will be spent working with the Office Manager on administrative duties, such as assisting other departments within the organization.
The intern will report to the Director of the Socially Responsible Business Program
Administrative work related directly to these projects should be expected. In carrying out these duties, the intern will have the opportunity to work closely with, and learn from, experienced professionals. The intern will have the opportunity to learn about workers’ rights, corporate responsibility, the operation of a non-profit advocacy organization, and how to successfully engage and publicize corporate labor policies and practices.
- 1-2 job/externship/internship/work study experiences.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of corporate research sources of information
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Attention to detail a must.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize and perform a wide variety of tasks over the course of the workday.
- Motivation, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn.
- Analytical, organizational, and general office skills.
- Strong computer competency; proficiency in Word, Excel, MS Access, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with CSR and sustainability principles and resources.
- Interest in and/or knowledge of labor, social justice and/or progressive policy issues.
American Rights at Work is a leading labor rights and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting the freedom of workers to form unions and bargain collectively.
The Socially Responsible Business Program promotes awareness of socially responsible and ethical corporate labor practices. The program engages forward-thinking business and labor leaders to develop and encourage sound policies and collaborative efforts that sustain workers, businesses, and society at large.
Please submit cover letter, resume, 3 references, your prospective hours and availability, and any links to or examples of relevant job or academic work products to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put SRB Internship in the subject line.
We will review candidates on a rolling basis starting on July 13, 2010. Incomplete applications, or applications delivered by fax, mail, or in person will not be considered. Please no phone calls or direct solicitations. EOE.
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, 20036, United States
Organization: American Rights at Work
Area of Focus: Corporate & Social Responsibility; Labor and Human Rights
Skill(s): corporate research, corporate responsibility, labor and human rights
End date: December 13, 2010
Last updated: July 13, 2010
Start date: September 2010
Last day to apply: on-going
Paid or unpaid: Paid