The Town of Herndon received a Green Government Certification in recognition of the achievements in implementing environmental policies and actions. Strategic Sustainability Consulting is based out of Herndon, VA so we are excited to share in the good news! Some of the programs and initiatives that the town undertook as part of the Green Government Challenge included:
- Baseline greenhouse gas emissions inventory for town facilities completed through Energy Star.
- Policies in place in town development standards and streetscape guidelines to utilize energy efficient and dark sky compliant outdoor light fixtures.
- Community-wide recycling collection program which exceeds state guidelines.
- Public Works has been purchasing hybrid replacement vehicles since 2009.
- Permanent natural areas in town established and include four natural parks-Runnymede, Stanton, Monroe Street and Spring Street as well as publicly and privately owned floodplain areas.
- Town code currently has provisions for protection of trees and required tree plantings.
- Low Impact Development (LID) Stormwater Management Policies implemented through direction of the 2030 Comprehensive Plan and town code addressing requirements of the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act.
"Herndon's certification as a ‘Green Government' validates the hard work and dedication of town citizens and staff in ensuring the health of our environment not only for today's generation but for generations to come," said Mayor Steve DeBenedittis. "We are committed to the program and the tenets it represents, and we will continue to foster responsible, respectful stewardship of our town's environment."