Today, we bring you a sneak peak inside one of our favorite client engagements. Since early 2011, we've been working with tuna giant Chicken of the Sea to create a sustainability strategy that effectively addresses their environmental and social impacts. That year-long process culminated in the August publication of the company's first sustainability report, download it here!
Want to learn more about how we work with clients like Chicken of the Sea? Check out these excerpts from our recent case study:
“When it came time to tell our sustainability story,” said Chicken of the Sea President Shue Wing Chan, “we realized that we had a number of things to talk about—but sometimes lacked a systematic approach to managing and communicating our impacts. That’s why in 2011 we embarked on a year-long project to more clearly articulate our sustainability strategy.”
Since that time, SSC has been working with Chicken of the Sea to assess and improve sustainability issues. Jennifer Woofter commented on the process saying, “The first step in developing a strategic sustainability plan is to understand the leverage points in your operations and supply chain. By taking a broad view of the company’s impacts – including facility management, employee engagement, vendor and supplier relations, and customer expectations – we were able to help Chicken of the Sea create a robust plan to address sustainability in all aspects of its business. Together, we’ve developed a sustainability strategy that will put Chicken of the Sea in a leadership position in its industry.”
Our path forward included:
- Getting the big picture: Chicken of the Sea was already deeply involved with issues regarding responsible fishing practices, but realized that all aspects of its business—from fishing to processing to packaging to transportation—had sustainability impacts. SSC helped to develop a holistic understanding of opportunity across the company’s entire value chain and focus sustainability initiatives where it mattered most. Learn more about some of our assessment and planning solutions here.
- Developing sustainability data management systems: SSC helped Chicken of the Sea implement sustainability software that will organize energy, waste, and water data from multiple facilities—including suppliers. This allowed the company to conduct its first carbon footprint in 2012, detailed in the 2011 Sustainability Report.
- Managing the supply chain: Because so much of the company’s impact is upstream, we focused a lot of attention on the supply chain. As a result, we helped Chicken of the Sea implement a new Supplier Code of Conduct and develop a plan to expand environmental and social sustainability auditing and data collection.
- Setting sustainability expectations for employees: SSC conducted an employee survey that revealed attitudes and awareness issues, using findings to guide employee engagement planning. Chicken of the Sea is now implementing sustainable initiatives through employee engagement activities, formalization of sustainability expectations into job descriptions and performance appraisals, and better internal communication.
Chicken of the Sea now has a clear picture of where they stand as well as a strategic roadmap to sustainability leadership. The company is also well equipped to reach their goals with practices in place to inspire a sustainable workforce, leverage data management systems, and implement a new supplier code of conduct.
Chicken of the Sea Senior VP of Sales and Marketing John Sawyer says, “Our sustainability efforts do not end when seafood is caught, but extend all the way through processing, packaging, and delivery to our customers. Where we have direct control over our operations, we are taking direct steps to optimize and reduce our possible impact and footprint. Where we do not have direct control, such as our supply chain, we have established clear expectations and are building a concrete review process.”
Want to learn more? Check out these resources!
- “Chicken of the Sea Undergoes First-Ever, Company-Wide Sustainability Assessment” Press Release
- Chicken of the Sea’s Sustainability Site and 2011 Sustainability Report
- SSC’s Chicken of the Sea Case Study
Is your organization facing similar challenges? Interested in a short discussion to learn more about how our team of consultants can partner to find the right solution for you? Don’t hesitate to contact us!