Strategic Sustainability Consulting is off for the Holidays!
But before we go … here are a few quick thoughts that we wanted to share during the holidays since we typically like to include food in the festivities: Think of these seven principles from Sustain Web as you celebrate today and every day!
- Use local, seasonally available ingredients as standard, to minimize energy used in food production, transport and storage.
- Specify food from farming systems that minimize harm to the environment, such as certified organic produce.
- Limit foods of animal origin (meat, dairy products and eggs) served, as livestock farming is one of the most significant contributors to climate change, and promote meals rich in fruit, vegetables, pulses, whole grains and nuts. Ensure that meat, dairy products and eggs are produced to high environmental and animal welfare standards.
- Exclude fish species identified as most 'at risk' by the Marine Conservation Society, and choose fish only from sustainable sources - such as those accredited by the Marine Stewardship Council.
- Choose Fairtrade-certified products for foods and drinks imported from poorer countries, to ensure a fair deal for disadvantaged producers.
- Avoid bottled water and instead serve plain or filtered tap water in reusable jugs or bottles, to minimize transport and packaging waste.
- Promote health and well-being by cooking with generous portions of vegetables, fruit and starchy staples like whole grains, cutting down on salt, fats and oils, and cutting out artificial additives.